Wednesday 1 April 2009

the customer ISN'T always right

Here is a HILARIOUS bit of communication which took place between one of my colleagues at work and a local gym: just have a look at the CLASS (or rather, the lack thereof)
in the way the senior members of the gym replied.

I wouldn't ever voluntarily sign up for a fixed period gym membership myself as frankly, I think I'd be saving money if I jogged to the gym and throw a tenner in the foyer on a daily basis.



Gyms are known to viciously track and hunt people down to extend their memberships- with my last experience having been getting out of my gym membership by convincing the admin that I was going to get married with my researcher husband and emigrate to Guinea Bissau, to conduct research on snake venom. I had to bring my pet snake in, along with a few vials of fairy liquid and a stack of files until they finally let me cancel the year-long membership.

Below however, is wildly different from the usual approach to secure long-term credit:
I guess some businesses are really just doing far too well to care about their potential customers.


(and who said the credit crunch was hitting us so badly?)





-Original Message-----
>> From:
>> Sent: 27 January 2009 14:21
>> To: G.V. (Fitzrovia)
>> Subject: Feedback - please pass to management
>>
>> FAO: Management
>>
>> Hello,
>> Today I went to the Fitzrovia studio for a trial class and I really
>> enjoyed it. I was all set to purchase a course of 10 off peak sessions
>> until I found out that I had to choose the time and date of all 10
>> classes before I could start. I appreciate that the off peak offer is
>> a special deal hence the limited times, total body class availability
>> only and the inability to reschedule after a class is booked but I
>> think asking people to choose the time and date of all 10 classes at
>> the time of booking makes it a near impossible offer for anyone that works
> full time.
>>
>> I already pay for a gym membership which is why I am interested in the
>> reduced rate off peak offer and I understand that that comes with
>> restrictions but it is simply impractical to insist that members
>> pre-book all 10 classes and then potentially lose out if a class is
> missed.
>>
>> I hope you will reconsider this policy as I would really like to start
>> coming to Good Vibes regularly.
>>
>>
>> Sincerely,




On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Reception wrote:
>> Hi >> >>
Thank you for your email. I'm really glad that enjoyed your free trial session. I'm afraid that we do need to be quite strict on the terms and conditions of the Off Peak course as it is at such a discounted rate. Our normal sessions (10 for £150) do offer much more flexibility, these you can book as and when you like, they are valid for 6 months, and we can re-schedule the sessions as long as we have 24 hours notice. These still offer great value as we are one of the cheapest Power Plate studios in London and our training is second to none!
Please do let me know if you have any questions or if you would like to book?
All the best,
*Please note that we need at least 24hrs to cancel or re-schedule appointments
>>




> -----Original Message-----
>
From: > Sent: 28 January 2009 15:05
To: Reception >
Subject: Re: Feedback - please pass to management > >

Thanks for your reply but I think I will look to join a gym like Virgin who > offers Power Plate classes. Their membership is only £73/month so if I do 10 > classes a month the cost per class is only £7.30. I only mention this to let > you know that there are more competitive offers out there. > >
Thanks and regards


On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Reception wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thank you for your feedback. We are aware that virgin offer the Power
> Plates, but they do not have instructor led classes and so the training is
> not as effective. Our training really is second to none and we achieve some
> amazing results.
>
> Virgin will also ask you to join for at least a year. If you are willing to
> do this then we also offer a membership scheme which is £120 per month for a
> minimum of 12 months or £150 per month for 6 months. On the membership you
> get 12 sessions per month (so, roughly 3 per week). Please do let me know if
> you have any questions or would like any other information?
>
> All the best,
>
>
>
> *Please note that we need at least 24hrs to cancel or re-schedule
> appointments

-----Original Message-----
From: Sent: 28 January 2009 15:57 To: reception Subject: Re: Feedback - please pass to management I'm afraid your information is incorrect. Virgin offer a month to month membership for £73/mo and they also offer a reduced rate membership if you join for a year. This is at least the case at the Oxford Street studio. They also offer instructor led power plate classes: http://www.virginactive.co.uk/Content/Innovations/Powerplate.aspx



The letter finally reached the top level of management, who also seems to appear on the website dressed like, well this...










From: N. d. B
Date: Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 8:07 PM
Subject: RE: Feedback - please pass to management
To:
Cc:


Hello - then you should go there. We offer an excellent service that
all other gyms copy but their classes aren't that great by all
accounts. But if that is what you can afford then you should go to
Virgin.

We like have over 8,000 happy clients happy and we offer an excellent
service that we are proud of. It's no point quibbling over our and
virgins price - it's a bit like comparing Tescos and Fortnums - you
have to decide what level of service you want in life and if you are
more of a Tesco girl then good luck to you.

Best wishes.

N. d. B
x.


N.d.B holds the position of head of branch or management. I must say, never before have I seen a less dignified response, slandering the value supermarket chain, ending the letter with a sarcastic kiss. I did tell my colleague that she sounded just like she looked in her photo though... classy. I guess no matter what in some cases, the customer just isn't in the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment