Friday 20 February 2009

Ageing on someone else's birthday: SC's 23rd

"Ill go for a bit, but won't stay too long- I'm way too tired"

At least that was how I though it'd be...
I'd had a day at work with tears, tantrums and a bastard server that will require me to work on Sunday morning. I was clueless as to what was going to happen next-
All I knew was, it was Shinchan's 23rd and we were due to go to an Anti-Folk concert at Bar Tweleve on Denmark St. for the said auspicious occasion.
I'd had a rough one at work, and only managed to leave after 7pm- (bad, on a friday for this job, though nothing compared to my other posts) (but then again i practically made a fortune from OT at my other jobs)

After I finish off a pasta salad (carbs= soaks alcohol) infront of my university, I find out that the Anti-Folk concert plan was cancelled, as "there were only dodgy people about". We head instead, out to Jerusalem Bar& Kitchen. Not a bad turnout, about a dozen of us started out in the establishment's secret garden, great little outdoor seating area and were ushered in by 11pm. By then the DJ had started and on to the dance floor we went.

It was amidst the seventies' disco-funk tunes that I was singing and dancing along to, while sober, when I had my epiphany. Only a handful among our group seemed to be engaging in what was meant to be dancing. A little while later, Tranny proclaimed that the crowd was "too old" for him and left. I was still having the time of my life.

T is my age. I questioned myself for thinking that it was "my crowd"- office people in their late 20's and early 30's letting it loose on a friday night. Isn't that where I am supposed to be in life at this moment?

I looked around to see that the better part of the Thai party guests didnt seem to be enjoying themselves that much either, they were about the same age as the birthday boy- 23. I spent the rest of the night singing and dancing wildly to Sweet Dreams, Groove is in the Heart and Prince in the company of a new friend, the Architect. She was my age and certainly seemed to be enjoying the music. The night ended with a few casualties being sent home in some bargain, possibly unlicensed cabs home, me walking back, alone while almost sober.

Was there really a large difference between Tranny's crowd and mine? One possible thought might be that the two guys at home were still very much in their student lives when I am now a regular nine-to fiver. Maybe it was my being partial to 80's cheese and disco. Then again, I know the lyrics because most have been remixed and re-released into some funky house or dance genre. Still didnt excuse me from singing along to Jackson Five's Want You Back: maybe I AM getting old...

No comments:

Post a Comment